Monday, February 28, 2005

Sex, lies and the turkey baster...

Fascinating story....guy does not have sex with married co-worker, but does get a blow job. She uses it to get preggers. Court backs her up...he has to pay...he IS the baby's father after all. So he counter sues.... Oh brother! What do YOU think? I dunno...I am vaguely reminded of the way some of the high school girls I knew would get knocked up in order to "build a relationship with her chosen man!"

By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO - A man who says his former lover deceived him by getting pregnant using semen obtained through oral sex can sue for emotional distress — but not theft, an appeals court has ruled.

Dr. Richard O. Phillips accuses Dr. Sharon Irons of a "calculated, profound personal betrayal" six years ago, but she says they had the baby through sexual intercourse.

The Illinois Appeals Court said Wednesday that Phillips can press a claim for emotional distress after alleging Irons had used his sperm to have a baby, but agreed that however the baby was conceived, Irons didn't steal the sperm.

"She asserts that when plaintiff 'delivered' his sperm, it was a gift," the decision said. "There was no agreement that the original deposit would be returned upon request."

The ruling sends the case back to Cook County Circuit Court.

Phillips, a Chicago family doctor, alleges that he and Irons never had intercourse during their four-month tryst, although they had oral sex three times. His suit contends that Irons without his knowledge kept some of his semen.

The relationship ended, the suit said, when Phillips learned Irons had lied to him about being recently divorced and was still married to another doctor.

Irons, who practices internal medicine in suburban Olympia Fields, said in a telephone interview Thursday that Phillips knew she was still married during their affair, and also knew she was pregnant with his child.

"He was very supportive and very happy about it," she said. "He said, `You need to hurry up and get your divorce.'"

He promised to marry her and asked her to quit her job, she said, but several days before her last day at work, Phillips informed her that he "couldn't go through with it."

Nearly two years after their affair, Irons filed a paternity suit and Phillips was ordered to pay $800 a month in child support, said Irons' attorney, Enrico Mirabelli.

Phillips then sued Irons, claiming her actions caused him nausea and headaches and robbed him of sleep and his appetite. He is haunted by "feelings of being trapped in a nightmare," court papers state.

The appeals court ruling followed a decision by a lower court judge who dismissed Phillips' suit in 2003.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

This is the way we treat our heros!

I am just too disgusted to do a cut and paste on this. But really, you would think the minister could have at least driven the two hours to Trenton to greet the returning troops!

Shame...........Shame...........Shame on you, and Welcome back DART hero's!

Look Boss, the Cost, the Cost!

Man, it never seems to end!

OTTAWA (CP) - The cost to taxpayers of sorting out the Maher Arar affair has soared to over $23 million, government figures show. Spending estimates tabled Friday in the Commons show an operating budget of $8.7 million was set aside in fiscal 2004-05 for the public inquiry headed by Justice Dennis O'Connor.

Francois Jubinville, a spokesman for the Privy Council Office, said an additional $3.7 million has been budgeted for the new fiscal year that starts April 1, bringing the inquiry's operating funds to $12.4 million.

O'Connor is looking into the role played by Canadian officials in Arar's detention in the United States and subsequent deportation to Syria, where he says he was tortured into false confessions of links to al-Qaida.

The official budget for O'Connor's work makes up a little more than half the total tab to the government so far.

Another $11.2 million has been run up by five federal departments and agencies.

The figures made public Friday show the Justice Department was by far the biggest spender, reporting $6.05 million in costs for "activities associated with" the affair.

Seamas Gordon, a department spokesman, said most of that money went to pay the fees for lawyers representing federal officials called to testify before O'Connor.

It's standard practice for the government to cover the legal costs incurred by any present or former bureaucrat in the course of official duties.

Other spending included $2.19 million by the Foreign Affairs Department, $2.07 million by the RCMP, $667,000 by the Privy Council Office and $198,000 by the Canada Border Services Agency $198,000.

That brought the grand total so far to $23.6 million.

The commission headed by O'Connor is no the only one that has been running up bills for the government over the last year.

The operating budget for another inquiry into the federal sponsorship scandal, under Justice John Gomery, is expected to be well over $30 million and possibly climb to $40 million.

Another $39 million in associated costs have been incurred by various federal departments, driving the total sponsorship bill close to $80 million.

Both inquiries were created last year by Prime Minister Paul Martin, in response to controversies he inherited from the previous regime of Jean Chretien.

Martin has defended the cost of the Gomery inquiry, saying it's worth it to find out what went wrong with the sponsorship program that saw millions of federal dollars flow to Liberal-friendly ad agencies.

Officials offered a similar justification Friday for spending on the Arar inquiry and related departmental costs.

"There is no question that commissions of inquiry are costly undertakings," said Stephen Bindman of the Justice Department.

"But in the case of the Arar inquiry, the government called one because it wanted to get to the bottom of the role of officials in what took place."

Arar, a Syrian-born Canadian citizen, was detained in New York on suspicions of terrorism in September 2002.

The telecommunications engineer, travelling on a Canadian passport, was eventually deported to Syria by U.S. authorities.

Arar, 35, says he was tortured for months in a grim Syrian prison before being released in the fall of 2003. He denies any involvement in terrorism.

Commission hearings are expected to extend well into this year. A final report is not expected before late 2005